Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The beginning of a new series!

I'm so excited to be starting this new series. It began with doing a drawing of my girlfriend as her drag character Sylver. Then, as I was finishing it I was coming to terms with my deep love of rhinestones. I decided that her portrait needed to be wildly studded!

At the same time that was happening, I was feeling an incredible urge to begin drawing portraits of my students. They inspire me in a lot of ways. And I wanted a chance to celebrate them. I chose one of my students who has a big personality. He's very dedicated to the program and focused on his dreams and personal goals. He's also one of my gay students. He and his best friend joined me in starting an LGBTQ group at the school. It's small and simple for now. We meet at lunch a few times a week and just talk about what ever is on our mind. After spending some time with these students I realized what a wonderful project it would be to create a series of portraits of my LGBTQ students, similar to the new ones you see below. So that's exactly what I'm doing. I have about 6 more portraits to start working on. I'm really excited! I hope you are too.  :)

Puppett as Slyver


Detail



Student #1


Detail



3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the one of Puppett! And I SWEAR it's not because I'm biased :) There's just so much depth in these, it's great, well done. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ally!! I really appreciate that :)

    ReplyDelete